Skip to main content

St. Andre provides senior leadership to her Lady Warrior team on way to a second round playoff appearance



For any team or organization to be successful, it takes a person to rise up and be a leader while navigating the rest of the group through the good times and the bad.
That was the case for the only senior on the court for the Oakdale Lady Warrior basketball team in the 2018-2019 season.
Because of  her efforts on the court, Ke’Maesha St. Andre was named as the first All-Parish Most Valuable Player in girls’ basketball.
For St. Andre, it feels good to be named MVP, but she knows all the recognition goes to her team.
“It was rocky being that I was the only leader on the team,” she said. “I had help from Lauren (Holmes) coming around  and shooting more. It just took a while for us to come around, but we tied for district. Overall, I couldn’t ask for a better team to play on.”
Being that she was the only senior on the team, St. Andre had her trepidations on the season at the beginning.
“I didn’t think we would make it very far,” she said. “I didn’t even think we would go to the playoffs, but we did. It just took a lot of time, hardwork, and dedication.”
It also took leadership from the senior Lady Warrior as her team found its way losing 11 of its first 17 games.
However once the team entered the team entered its district part of the season, the Lady Warriors, as St. Andre said, flipped a switch.
“We wanted to win the district title again, and that was our goal this year,” she said. “We turned it up in district and played more aggressive, shot more, listened and tried to talk more with each other, and help each other out as best as we could.”
In district play, St. Andre’s Lady Warriors went 9-1. Their only loss in district was to the East Beauregard squad on the road in late January. As a result, both clubs tied for the district title.
“We could have come out with another win against East Beauregard,” St. Andre said, “but we didn’t have the faith in it once we got down. We gave up a little bit, and we didn’t really play as hard as we did in the beginning. It was just something we had to deal with.”
A share for the district title meant Oakdale was ranked as the 15th seed once the Class 2A playoff brackets were released. That translated into a home playoff game against 18th seeded Livingston Collegiate.
It also translated into another opportunity where St. Andre carried her team as she scored 43 of the 53 points.
“I wanted to win and go to the second round,” she said. “So, the more I shot meant the more shots that fell. I really didn’t notice that I had 43 points until after the game. I wasn’t really paying attention to me scoring. I was just shooting and trying to get a win for my team.”
St. Andre’s team then lost in the second round to second seeded North Caddo. Even with the loss, the Oakdale senior knows it was a successful season.
“I enjoyed every bit of it,” she expressed. “I enjoyed playing with the team and the practices. It was a lot of laughter and  good and bad moments, but, through it all, we still stuck together.”
She continued, “I look at this team as my little sisters.”
St. Andre now looks to attend college where she wants to major in physical education. She also looks to taking her basketball game to the next level and does not rule out playing overseas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Howard, Dronet lead their teams on post-season strides including a title run

In their short time so far at their respective schools, both Dustin Howard and Mark Dronet have put their basketball programs back on their winning ways. Howard’s Oakdale Warriors took home the parish tournament championship for the first time in 11 years, and Dronet’s Reeves Lady Raiders made it the tournament formally known as the Top 28 for the first time in 46 years. For their efforts, both coaches were named as Allen Parish Coaches of the Year. “It’s definitely an honor anytime you get recognized,” Howard said, “but Coach of the Year is a team award. You can’t be Coach of the Year unless your team performs.” Equally humbled by the honor was Dronet. “I couldn’t even tell you how many basketball games I’ve won during my coaching career,” he said. “That’s not why I coach. I don’t coach for any award or anything like that. I just coach for the satisfaction I get knowing I’m having an impact on the girls who I coach.” Dronet continued, “I guess it’s nice to be recognized as Coach

Lady Hornets win third consecutive Class C state softball championship

                                     SULPHUR- A range of emotions was felt by the Plainview Lady Hornets after achieving dynasty status following their third consecutive Class C softball state championship. “It’s a little bittersweet because that was my last game playing with these girls,” said starting pitcher and state tournament most valuable player Madison Pippen. “We played six years together. We’ve all grown really close, and we’re like family. It’s a great feeling.” Echoing Pippen’s sentiments was senior Allie Willis. “The first emotion I felt after we won was excitement,” she said, “but we were all sad because we’ll never get to play together again. We were all upset about that because it’s just so fun playing with your best friends all the time. We don’t want it to end, but there’s no better way to go out than the way we did.” Orchestrating this dynasty at Plainview was head softball coach Elliott West. “When we got beat four years ago in the finals,” he explained, “I was ve

Oakdale, Fairview reign supreme in parish tournament

OAKDALE- For the first time in over a decade, the Oakdale Warriors are Allen Parish basketball champions after they took down Fairview 85-66 Saturday in the finals of the RoyO.Martin Parish Tournament. “In 2007, they went 10-0, were district champions, and were kings of the parish,” said head Oakdale coach Dustin Howard. “I actually had several guys from that team text me to tell me good luck and that it was time for the parish championship to come back to Oakdale. I’m proud to say that it has.” Howard added, “Our guys wanted this and wanted it bad. I think people could see that by the way we played on the court.” Fairview Panther head coach Ron Stark said about the game, “Oakdale is good. It’s hard to beat them here. They shoot the ball well. They shot better than I thought they could shoot.” He went on to say his team is young this year, but his team got some much needed power points by beating the Elizabeth Bulldogs Friday in the semi-final game of the parish tournament. On the girl